The Grove

The Grove

This area was planted by Edward Southwell in 1740. It connects the town centre to Down Cathedral. Originally the Strangford Lough washed up at the base where the Carpark is today. In 1745 a radical drainage scheme created the land on which Market Street is built. In the 18th and 19th centuries it was a place of recreation.

John Wesley, the founder of Methodism, preached in ‘The Grove’ on several occasions. Stones embedded in the path contain excerpts of his diary. The garden of the Saint Patrick Centre has a gateway which opens into the park. You can access the café through this. 

 

Facilities

Toilets
Located in the Saint Patrick Centre
Parking
Parking is available on Market Street and English Street. Some charges may apply.
Café
Available at the Saint Patrick Centre
Accessibility
There is level access throughout The Grove
Shop
Located in the Saint Patrick Centre

Opening Hours

The Saint Patrick Centre is open Monday to Saturday from 9 to 5. The site is open at all times.

Charges

Not applicable.

Walk Trails

Linear, 47 miles

Lecale Way. Located next to the starting point for the Lecale Way.

Comments

Be the first to comment on this venue. Complete the form below.

Contact

+44 (0) 28 4461 2233

Location

Market Street
Downpatrick

Image Gallery

Photo of The GrovePhoto of The GrovePhoto of The GrovePhoto of The GrovePhoto of The GrovePhoto of The GrovePhoto of The Grove
This site is funded
courtesy of
Big Lottery Fund Ulster Garden Villages
Enjoyed this site? Why not check out...
Outdoor NIWalk NICycle NICanoe NIMTB NIDiscover Northern IrelandFacebookTwitter