The area was once a quarry but the passage of time has hidden much of the disused quarry under trees. The views to Strangford Lough and across part of the Co Down drumlin belt are worthwhile (especially on a bright day). Much of the wood is on a steep to very steep hillside and is not suitable for wheelchair users or those with walking difficulties.
The wood includes a walled garden once part of the grounds of Killynether House. The house was designed, by local architect Henry Chappell, for the Marquis of Londonderry’s and extended and re-modelled in the early 1870’s. Following government use during World War II it passed to the National Trust and, after a period as a youth hostel, was demolished (with some regret) due its unsound condition.
Access to the site is available all year.
Parking charges may apply.
From Newtownards to Comber dual carriageway, follow road signs to Scrabo Country Park.
|This site is funded