Kearney village and coastal path is located 3 miles (5 km) east of Portaferry. The village and coastal path has been in National Trust care since 1965 and was the Trust’s first purchase in Northern Ireland through the Enterprise Neptune scheme. The first recorded dwellings at Kearney date back to the 18th century. At one time, 30 fishing vessels operated out of Kearney and nearby Tara. Following acquisition, the Trust completely reconstructed the village based on the 1834 Ordnance Survey and all the houses are now occupied. There is a car park, public toilets and small interpretative centre at Kearney village. Visitors are welcome to walk around the village, but please respect the privacy of residents. You are welcome to walk along the coast in either direction. The Trust maintains about 2 miles (3 km) of paths along the coast, which are mostly mown grass, but can be rockier and uneven towards Knockinelder.
Open all year round.
From Newtownards, take the A20 Portaferry Road. Take B173 Kircubbin to Cloughey Road and follow the signposts for Kearney.
028 4278 8387
|This site is funded