Quarrying operations finished at Belshaw's Quarry in about 1950. Within the quarry, it is now possible to see proof of times when the area was once a scorched desert, a sea bed, engulfed by molten lava and entombed in ice.
The abandoned quarry has developed into a haven for native wildlife. Dragonflies dart over the tall bulrushes of the pond while common spotted orchids are littered over drier parts of the quarry floor. A colony of common blue butterflies adds to the purple-blue hue and wild strawberries provide flashes of red to catch the eye of observant visitors.
Open all year round
Take the Glenavy Road from Lisburn, heading towards Glenavy. Turn right onto Bensons Road, a layby for parking has been provided on the left hand side adjacent to the nature reserve.
+44 (0) 28 3885 3950
Northern Ireland Environment Agency
|This site is funded